Monday, March 12, 2012

Nai malai tei keti chaincha......aamaaaa......

After I had given several attempts to cross the main road packed with auto rickshaws and buses, I had finally succeeded. Heaving a sigh of relief, I finally took a deep breath and took a look to the farther corner of the road expecting an auto.

And there it was, one coming with some loud music.... The sound gradually increased as the auto came nearer. The speaker with a very low MW [Mega Watt] was forced to play in full volume.... The sheer imagination of myself stuffed in the auto was unbearable.

But as the auto passed by, I was spellbound. Whats this?? Have I heard the song somewhere?? I thought. Whats this? Is this Prakash Poudel screaming? I listened carefully..... 

Meanwhile the auto had already stopped and the driver was pulling me screaming "Begumpul? Hello bhaiya!! Kahan jana hai?" [Are you going to Begumpul? Hello brother? Where are you going?] 

But I was so much into the song that I couldn't feel and hear anything other than the song..... OMG, it was our Prakash Poudel with the song "Aama malai tei keti chaincha.... ghuk ghuk ghuk" [for those of you who dont know nepali or pretend so, the song means 'Mom, I need that girl....booohooohooo']

It was a mixed feeling of excitation as well as amazement. This song had a special place in my heart with lots of funny memories  related. I remember my childhood days when I used to listen this song in my tape recorder [we used to call it DAC dont know why? DAC stands for Digital to Analog converter but this thing has nothing to do with the term.] I remember getting several scoldings from my mom and grandmom for playing it.

I also remember a time when a friend of mine Dhaney [aka d.k.] had gone to market with his mother. And unfortunately, this album "3 MUCH" had recently been launched and the song was famous among most of the teenagers. More unfortunate for my friend, he didn't knew the title of the album. Height of bad luck!!

He went straight to the shop [the only shop that sold tape cassettes those days in our area was that of Ram da]. He went near the shop, a small one which could adjust only a single person inside. D.k's mother was buying some vegetables from the nearby shop.

D.k. said: "daju, nai malai tei keti chaincha bhanney cassette cha?" [do you have the cassette with the song 'mother.... I need that girl!!']
Ram da said: "kun chai harey bhai?" [which song?]
D.k: "nai malai tei keti chaincha bhanney hou!!" ['mother.... I need that girl!!']
Ram da: "kun cahi hou bhai?" [which one?]
Now our d.k. being a hot blooded creature got frustrated and sang the song in Prakash Ojha's tune.... "nai malai tei keti chaincha..... aamaaaa....." ['I need that girl motherrrrr.............']

On hearing this, d.k.'s mother got startled and came running towards the shop thinking that his son might be in danger..... On top of everything, the most unfortunate thing for him was that all this while I was near the shop watching the conversation.... I lost my control and had a near escape from death laughing!!

Meanwhile, I heard someone say, "Arrey chalo yaar.... chodo is launde ko!!" [Lets go man..... leave this boy!!] The autowala pushed me with a sudden jerk which brought me back to reality..... And the auto left. An old man who was standing near me said, "kya waiyaat gana bajata hai?" [What a rubbish song he is playing!!]

I smiled looking at him and he acknowledged me with one but the fact was something else. I wasn't laughing because of his statement but was laughing remembering the funny d.k. incident. And also praising Prakash Poudel that he is famous here too.

1 comment: